Saturday 9 April 2011

First Post









Well this is my first post. So what's the motivation for starting this blog? Well let's go back to the start. I have have been shooting film since a youngster. Mostly cheap point and shoot cameras.  The first SLR I saw was my Grandfather's. He also had a Polaroid One Step. All I remember was visiting our grandparents and grandmother whipping out the cameras and making us all stand straight and pose and smile. It became a ritual whenever we visited. It drove me crazy and put off photography. I only took out my point and shoot on special occasions and only to document special events. That was the extent of my use of a camera.

The first digital camera I used was for work. It was a VGA resolution Kodak point and shoot, which in those days cost a fortune. It became my job to take all the photos. But with me being shy and with absolutely no zoom on the camera all my shots were from distances. Horrible! The next camera bought by the company was a 1 megapixel Kodak with a 3x zoom. A little easier to use. But I was again put off by of the technology or lack thereof. I really disliked taking photos because it forced me to be confrontational and get up close and personal with people which challenged me greatly.

So lets fast forward to 2007. I wanted a digital camera begin to document our trips to Malaysia and my son's growing up. I thought film was dead and digital was the way of the future and at this stage technology advanced. So what would I get? After much research I chose an Olympus Camedia 6mp with 10x Zoom. No more getting into people's faces. Well that was it. I took the camera with me to Malaysia and had it every where we went. I shot everything possible even in car shots. I was hooked. You couldn't tear the camera from my hands much to the sadness of all my family.  After much use I found it's many limitations. So what was next? Well that's for another post. let's keep this short and see where it goes 8) My goal here is to document my film photography as well digital experience. I also want to put up some historical family photos for my family to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment